Sunday, October 3, 2010



We are so busy with school, errands, Bible study, AWANA ~ anything I can put together in the morning to be ready at night is a help!!  I've also been utilizing my crockpot more often. The less mess in my kitchen, the better!!


Mexican Mess ~ Kid-Tested, Mom-Approved : )

Crockpot Minestrone, bread

Meatloaf, sweet potatoes  (yippity-skippity, an oven meal!)

Oven Fried Sesame Chicken, Asian Garlic Broccoli & Red Pepper stir fry



Mexican Mess
1 lb ground turkey, browned with onion and garlic
1 can ranch beans
1 can seasoned black beans
Add beans and simmer 20 minutes. 

Cook brown rice.  Layer on plate, beginning with rice, then meat and bean mixture. 

Serve with: chopped tomatoes, lettuce, shredded cheese, salsa, fritos, avocado.

Crockpot Minestrone
I made this last week, and we all loved it!  The measurements are approximate, but after all, it's soup, what can go wrong?!!

1 box chicken broth
1/2 jar leftover spaghetti sauce
1/2 finely chopped onion
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cans kidney beans
1 can cannenlini beans
3 garlic cloves, minced
Italian seasoning, pepper

Cook on low until you come home!  I cooked my pasta separately, then added it right before we ate.  If I had zuchini on hand, I would add that towards the end of cooking. Serve with parmesan cheese and crusty bread.  Delcious!



Oven Fried Sesame Chicken
This is a new recipe.  We love sesame!  I also like to use chicken thighs occassionally, because I often am stuck in a boneless-skinless chicken breast rut.  I am planning on using breasts and thighs ~ we'll see what the grocery store prices are!

2 lbs chicken breasts, thighs or wings

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 bunch green onions, including bulbs, diced
4 tsp. minced garlic
Sesame Seeds


Directions:


Combine ingredients, except chicken, in a large ziploc bag.  Add chicken, coat well, cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, turning at least once. Transfer chicken to a baking dish (discard marinade).  Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake chicken uncovered at 425 degrees F. for about 45 minutes, turning once after about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers